You can use the device manager or manually install audio drivers in the Windows operating system. When Windows 10 cannot automatically detect and download the correct audio driver for your computer, you will need to manually install the driver.
It happens if you use hardware with external drivers and have to either download them from the hardware manufacturer’s website or use a driver disc. Sometimes, you must also download and install audio drivers from the motherboard’s manufacturer’s website.
How Do I Manually Install Audio Drivers in Windows 10?
The best way is to identify your computer’s model and search for the driver on the manufacturer’s website. Download the driver and install it. If you use any external sound card to get high-quality audio, you must visit the sound card’s website to download the drivers manually.
Installing drivers through manual procedure takes a lot of time and requires you to pay close attention to what you’re doing the whole time. Also, before installing a driver for the first time, it is recommended that a system restore point be made. If something goes wrong, you can simply undo your changes with this.
For the changes to take effect after the drivers have been installed, your computer will require a restart after they have been completed. If you encounter a driver installation error during setup due to a missing driver or incompatibility, search for a newer driver version or contact the hardware manufacturer for more information.
Step 1: Identify The Audio Driver
How do you know which audio driver you require for Windows 10? It is very simple; you must identify the computer model using the system information. To open the system information, go to the start menu and search “System Information.”
Open the system information and look for the “System Model.” Write down this model number, as you will need it to search the drivers. If you use external audio hardware, go to “Hardware Resources” and “I/O.” Here, you can find the sound card or graphics card name.
Step 2: Download The Audio Driver
This is one of the most important steps in the whole process. Now, you must download the exact driver matching your system description. In this case, we have to search for the drivers that match both system requirements and the operating system.
There are two operating system bits, 32-bit and 64-bit. Therefore, you will need this information to successfully download drivers like Realtek. After confirmation of the model, go to the manufacturer’s website.
Like in my case, I will go to Dell. You can also search on Google for the model of your computer with the required drivers (Dell Vestro 14 Audio Drivers) and then open the official website’s link. Some websites, like Dell, offer you virtual support.
You just have to insert the model and other details of your computer, and it finds the best possible match for your driver. Once you have found the drivers, download them and install them carefully.
Install Drivers Manually Via Device Manager
Device managers also have a feature to add your drivers manually. Suppose you use hardware that your Windows cannot identify and install; then, you must manually add this driver. Some drivers don’t have executable files. Windows built-in programs like device manager can only detect them. So, to add the driver manually, follow these steps,
- Download the driver file with hardware from the manufacturer’s official website or the provided CD/DVD.
- Now open Device Manager by searching in the Windows search bar.
- Once open, scroll down to “Other devices.” Look for your sound card name or unidentified audio driver.
- Now, right-click on the hardware and select “Update” from the file.
- Select “Browse my computer for drivers” from the popup windows.
- You will be redirected to another window. Select Browse from that window.
- Go to the folder where your downloaded driver is located, select the driver, and press OK. It will automatically install your driver into the system.
Manually Install Realtek Audio Driver
Realtek HD drivers are the most common audio drivers for Windows 10. Many websites provide Realtek audio drivers, but you must be careful about which one you choose. We recommend you always download the driver from the official Realtek website.
You can also download the correct driver from Intel’s website, as most motherboards have audio chipsets supporting Realtek. Here’s the complete process,
- Go to the Realtek website and scroll down to the Windows section. Here, you will find the list of all the drivers concerning the operating system.
- Search for the drivers that match your operating system’s exact description.
- Click on downloaded and agree to the terms and policies.
- Then, open the folder you just created after extracting its contents.
- To begin the installation, double-click the setup.exe file and follow the on-screen prompts.
How To Update Audio Drivers Manually? | Manufacturer’s Website
If you want your audio drivers to work efficiently and correctly, you should always keep them up to date. You can manually download the latest version from your device manufacturer’s website. To update audio drivers manually:
- Go to the manufacturer’s website and search for the latest version of your audio drivers.
- Download the drivers and install them on your device.
Note: Always prefer to download drivers from the manufacturer’s official website. It will protect your system from malware and virus damage and ensure the verified driver installation.
Common Errors While Downloading Audio Drivers Manually
- The driver you downloaded may sometimes be incompatible with your computer’s operating system. In this scenario, you should try looking for a different version of the same driver on various websites.
- There is a possibility that malware or viruses could corrupt the audio drivers. Therefore, you should ensure that you have antivirus software installed on your computer and always scan any downloaded files before installing them.
- Before you download and install your drivers, you should make it a point to read the release notes accompanying them. It will help you determine whether or not the driver is appropriate for the system you are using.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest versions of your audio drivers, as they may contain fixes or enhancements to enhance the quality of your device’s audio.
These are some tips on manually installing audio drivers on Windows 10. When installing audio drivers, paying close attention to the process and having a firm grasp of the underlying operating system is important.
Before downloading and installing a driver, please ensure you have read and understand the above instructions thoroughly and have checked all information for accuracy.
Installing audio drivers manually is a complex process and requires you to have an in-depth knowledge of your device’s operating system. It can also be time-consuming, so paying close attention to the instructions given above is important. It will help you avoid any potential errors while installing your driver.
Windows Related Topics:
Hey, I’m Hammad. I have been writing for several years now and have amassed a wealth of experience within my field. My focus is on technology and gaming, two areas that I am highly knowledgeable about. Also, I’m writer for iPhonEscape.com and CPUGPUnerds.com as well and where I have written over 350 articles.