Are you tired of having discord auto-update as soon as you launch it? Or are you just frustrated that every time you boot up your PC, discord starts updating without asking?
Discord doesn’t have the option to turn off auto-updates at start-up, and this can frustrate the user sometimes. Well, if you are one of those, there is good news for you as you can easily stop the updation process of discord at the launch time.
How to Stop Discord From Updating on Startup?
To disable the auto-update of discord at startup, you need to head inside the installation directory of discord. Locate the “update.exe” and change its mode to “Read-only”. So, right-click on the discord icon and from either the desktop or from the Start Menu, and choose “Open File Location”:
Doing this will open up the installation directory of discord in File Explorer, from where simply right-click on the “Update.exe” and then choose “Properties”:
From the “Update.exe Properties”, Head inside the “General” tab and then mark the checkbox for “Read-Only” under the Attributes section:
Once that is done, Restart your PC for the changes to take effect:
How to Stop Discord Updates on PC Startup?
If you want to stop the update process of Discord from launching as soon as your PC boots up, then in that case, find the start-up process and then “Disable” the startup of “Update” by Githib.
To do this, Right-click on the Taskbar on your Desktop and choose the “Task Manager” Option:
From the task Manager, shift over to the “Startup” tab:
In the Startup tab, locate the process “Update” by “GitHub,” and if it is already enabled, then right-click on it and press the “Disable” option:
Once that is done, the next time you restart your PC, Discord will not secretly download updates as a background process.
How to Disable Discord Auto-Launch on Startup?
Another thing that you can do to stop discord from downloading updates in the background is to head inside the discord settings and turn off the option to launch Discord Application and System boot.
To do this, open up Discord and then click on “Gear-Icon” next to your username to open up Discord settings:
In the Discord Settings, Click on “Windows Settings” under “App Settings” from the side navigation pane:
Inside the Windows Settings, turn off the slider for the option “Open Discord”:
Doing this will ensure that Discord will not open up on its own as soon as the PC loads up.
Now that you have done the required task let’s discuss why discord updates on startup.
Why Does Discord Auto-Update on Launch?
Discord auto-updates on startup to ensure the user always uses the latest software version. When Discord starts up, it automatically checks for any available updates, and if there is one, it will begin to download and install it in the background while the user uses the app.
By updating on startup, Discord ensures that users have access to the most up-to-date features and bug fixes, which can help to improve the overall user experience. Additionally, auto-updating can be a security measure to ensure that any vulnerabilities or security issues in previous app versions are addressed in the latest update.
Overall, auto-updating on startup is a common practice among software developers, and it helps to ensure that users have the best experience possible while using the application.
How to Check What’s New in Discord’s Update?
It is always a good option to check what is in the new update first, and if it is beneficial for you, you can opt-in to download the new update. Click the “What’s New” option from the user settings.
To do this in a step-by-step way, the first step is to open up discord and then click on the “Gear Icon” next to your profile name:
From the Side-Navigation Panel, click on the “What’s New” option:
This will display a pop-up window with all of the information about the new update:
You have successfully viewed the details about the new update.
How to Disable Discord Auto-Updates on Android?
There is no option in the mobile application of Discord to stop the auto-updates. However, for android devices, the user can turn off the auto-update features from the Google Play Store.
To do this, head over to Google Play Store on your Android Device and then search for Discord and tap on it:
After that, you will be brought to Discord’s detail page, from where simply click on the “Triple Dots” on the top right to show the options:
From the drop-down menu, ensure the option “Enable auto-update” is turned off:
Now you have successfully disabled auto-updates for Discord on your Android Mobile Phones. The next update is available, and it will prompt you to download the update from the Google Play Store instead of downloading it in the background.
How to Disable Discord Auto-Update on iOS?
To disable Discord Auto-Updates, simply head over to the App settings in iOS and disable “App Updates” or “Automatic Updates”.
The Step-by-step procedure for this is as:
- Go to Settings on your iOS Device.
- Select App Store inside the Settings
- If you want to disable auto-updates for Apps at all times, then disable the option “App Updates”
- If you only want to disable the auto-update feature when you are using Mobile Data, then in that case, simply Disable the option “Automatic Updates”.
What are the Benefits of Discord Auto-updates on Mobile Devices?
Enabling auto-update for the Discord app on your mobile device can offer several benefits:
- Improved Performance: Auto-updates ensure the app is always updated with the latest bug fixes, security patches, and new features. This can help improve the app’s overall performance and prevent it from crashing or freezing.
- Better Security: Updates often include important security fixes that can help protect your device and data from potential threats.
- Access to new Features: Auto-updates ensure you always have access to the latest features and improvements, which can enhance your user experience and help you get the most out of the app.
- Saves Time and Effort: By enabling auto-updates, you won’t have to check for updates or download and install them manually. This can save you time and effort, especially if you use the app frequently.
Overall, enabling auto-updates for the Discord app on your mobile device is a good idea. It can help ensure you have the latest version with all the necessary updates, features, and security fixes.
What are the Disadvantages of Discord Auto-updates on Mobile Devices?
While there are several benefits to enabling auto-updates for the Discord app on your mobile device, there are also a few potential disadvantages to consider:
- Storage Space: Auto-updates can take up storage space on your device, which can be a concern if you have limited storage available. If you frequently use the Discord app, the updates can add up over time and take up a significant amount of space.
- Data Usage: Auto-updates can consume data if you are not connected to a Wi-Fi network. This can be a concern if you have a limited data plan or are on a slow or unreliable network.
- Compatibility Issues: Occasionally, an update can cause compatibility issues with your device or other apps. This can lead to glitches or other issues that can be frustrating.
- Changes to the User Interface: Auto-updates can change the user interface or layout of the app, which can take some getting used to. If you are comfortable with the current interface, updates can be disruptive and require learning new features or functionality.
These potential disadvantages may not be significant enough to outweigh the benefits of enabling auto-updates for the Discord app. However, it’s important to consider them before enabling or disabling auto-updates.
Stopping Discord from updating on Startup can be really beneficial as it can save you a lot of Data, especially if you are running a metered connection. Other than that, Discord’s auto-update option at startup can infuriate many. To do this, simply change the “Attribute” of the “Update.exe” file to Read-only or disable it from the “Startup” app list.
Other than this, disabling the Auto-update feature of Discord on Mobile devices is a great way to save your Data and even save precious storage space.
8 Ways To Fix Discord Stuck On Blank White Screen
Why Does My Discord Bot Go Offline? Solved
Why are Discord Mods Portrayed as Obese/Fat?
Why Does Discord Turn My Videos Into Files?
How Do I Fix Invalid Password on Discord? Fixed (Step-By-Step)
Fixed: Why Does Spotify Stop Playing When I’m On Discord?
How Do I Recover My Disabled Discord Account? Solved
Fixed: High RAM and CPU Usage Issue in Discord
Solved: Why Does Discord Pause Spotify While Streaming?
Why Does Discord Mute All Other Sounds? Solved Step By Step
Fix: Discord Crashes After Clicking On The Screen Share Button
Why is Discord Taking Forever to Load up? – Fixed
Why Does My Discord Video Call Keep Freezing?
17 Ways to Fix Black Screen While Streaming on Discord 2023
How Do You Fix The Muffled & Distorted Sound In Discord?
Why Is My Discord Audio So Quiet? Reasons & Fix
Why Does Discord Not Have Voice Messages?
How Do I Fix Discord Voice Stuttering? Step By Step Fix
FIXED: How To Fix Audio When Streaming On Discord?
Why Do AirPods Sound Bad on Discord?
An individual trying to decipher the enigmas of technology by the sheer driving force of curiosity. Interested in learning new skills and being better at those skills than the lot.