Discord is a wonderful software that provides a huge platform to connect and communicate with people worldwide and from different fields. Moreover, its communication is not limited to the text form but allows you to use your voice and videos.
In this article, I will try my best to help you fix your issues regarding the muffled and distorted sound in Discord. First, I will explain the problem, and then I will provide you with an easy solution to that problem so you can solve it at home without wasting your money.
How Do You Fix The Muffled & Distorted Sound In Discord?
The reasons behind the muffled and distorted sound in Discord can be a conflict between Discord and other filters, noise suppression (Krisp), push to talk feature, a damaged microphone, wrong audio bitrates, your microphone’s low volume, wrong audio subsystem, disabled echo cancellation, and high packet priority.
- The conflict between Discord and Other Filters
A conflict may occur if you run multiple filters simultaneously, making the sound muffled and distorted. It is because the input from your microphone is filtered more than once.
- Noise Suppression (Krisp)
Noise suspension is a feature in Discord to reduce the background voice. This feature is also known as Krisp. But if you don’t have a high-quality mic, Krisp will cause muffled and distorted sound in Discord.
- Push to Talk
Push to talk feature restricts your sound until you press a certain key before speaking. Pressing a key again and again is not only an annoying thing, but it might be the cause of your muffled and distorted sound.
- Check Your Microphone
Sometimes, the fault is not inside your software settings, but the culprit is your hardware. If your mic’s cable, pin, jack, etc., is faulty, you can experience muffled and distorted sound in Discord.
- Audio Bitrates
You may use hi-fi hardware for speech, but the bitrates are very low or vice versa. It is important to set these rates according to the quality of your microphone. Otherwise, you can experience muffled and distorted audio in Discord.
- Increase the Microphone’s Volume
If your microphone’s volume is too low, its sensitivity will decrease. You must speak louder, or your audience will hear muffled and distorted sounds when communicating through Discord.
- Enable Echo Cancellation
Usually, echo produces in empty halls and rooms. Your voice has a reverb added to it as a result of echo. It might be the reason behind the muffled and distorted sound in Discord. You can disable the echo by using the Echo Cancellation feature of Discord.
- Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
Sometimes, your sound is transferred as a low-priority entity on the internet. You can make your voice a high-priority data by using the quality of service high packet priority option in Discord.
- Change Audio Subsystem To Standard
There are two audio subsystems in Discord. One is for older computing devices, while the other is for the latest and modern mobile phones, laptops, and personal computers. Switching the subsystem back to standard can solve your muffled and distorted sound issue.
Conflict Between Discord and Other Filters
Sometimes two or more filters are on for the same input device; for example, Discord’s filters and LS50x are enabled simultaneously. In this case, the audio is filtered twice, making the sound quality poor, muffled, and distorted. Again, this is because of the conflict between or among the multiple filters.
The only solution to this problem is to disable all other filters and keep only one filter enabled that you like the most or the one that is better than the others. Don’t forget to close the other filter applications, as some might be hiding in the tray in the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
Disable Noise Suppression In Discord (Krisp)
Krisp is a well-known function of Discord that allows you to suppress different kinds of background noises in your speech. However, it can make the sound muffled and distorted sometimes. So I suggest you disable it and get feedback from your listeners if the sound quality is better. Follow the following steps to turn it off:
- First, open the discord “settings” in the bottom left corner, having a cog icon.
- After that, select “Voice & Video” from the list on your left-hand side.
- Next, scroll down the user interface (UI) on the right side, and you will find a radio button entitled “Krisp” under the section called “Noise Suppression.”
- Select the “None” option to enable all background noises here. Try putting a cover and pop filter on your microphone for noise suppression.
Disable Push To Talk Feature in Discord
Push-to-talk is a common feature available with different games and streaming software. If the push-to-talk is enabled, your sound will never transfer until you press a certain key. I recommend you disable it because it might be causing the muffled and distorted audio.
- To disable the push-to-talk feature, open the discord “settings” in the bottom left corner of the app.
- Next, select the title in the list on your left, saying “Voice & Video.”
- Then, look at the right side of the user interface, where you will find the section “Input Mode.”
- There will be two radio buttons in this section. You must select the “Voice Activity” and leave the “Push to Talk.”
- Hopefully, the distortion will be gone from your speech and the muffling.
Check Your Microphone
There is a possibility that the muffled and distorted sound is not because of Discord or other voice filter applications but your input device only. For example, plugging and unplugging a mic again and again can damage its pin. And a damaged pin causes distorted sound.
Coiling and uncoiling a microphone cable repeatedly also damaged the wires inside. So when more wires break inside the cable, it will cause muffling. But if the bokeh wires touch the edges of other broken wires, distortion will produce in your sound.
I recommend you attach a working microphone unplugging the current one to test if the muffled and distorted sound is still present. If not, you need a new input device for communicating with your friends, students, or other communities in Discord.
Change Audio Bitrates in Windows Sound Settings
Sometimes your input device is of high quality, but the bitrate is very low. It can cause a muffled and distorted sound. If you are using the Windows operating system, then you can change audio bitrates in no time only by following these steps:
- First, press the combination of Windows + I keys to open the settings.
- A window will pop up where you need to select the System option on the left.
- After that, select the “Sound” option from the list on your left-hand side.
- Next, scroll down the right part of the user interface and reach the section “Input.”
- Then select “Device properties,” and then select “Additional device properties.”
- A small window with multiple tabs will appear immediately. Here choose the tab named “Advanced.”
- You can change the audio format using the list under the “Default Format” title. There will be different qualities such as CD, DVD, and Studio.
Change Audio Bitrates in Discord Sound Settings
If you use an advanced piece of hardware, but the bitrates are set to a lower value, it can cause muffled and distorted sound in Discord. To fix this issue, you can follow the following easy steps:
- Select the server you want to change the bitrate of, then choose the “Edit Chanel” option of the voice channel you mostly use.
- After that, a UI will appear with a list on the left side. Select “Overview” from the list.
- In the end, scroll down to find the “Bitrate” bar. Set the bitrate according to the internet connection of your audience.
- Low bitrate is for poor connections, and high bitrate is for good connections.
Increase the Microphone’s Volume
By increasing the input volume of your microphone, you can remove the muffled and distorted sound effects in Discord. If you are using Windows, then you can follow these steps to fix this issue:
- Press the “Windows + I” key to open the settings.
- Here select the “System” on the top left side.
- Next, select “Sound” from the list on the left.
- After that, scroll down to the right of the UI where the “Input” section is and select “Device properties.”
- Then select the “Additional device properties” in the top right corner.
- A small window will appear with multiple tabs. Select the “Levels” tab and increase the microphone volume under the “Microphone” title.
Enable Echo Cancellation
Discord’s excellent echo cancellation feature lets you speak without worrying about echoes or reverberations. In a silent, empty room, for example, the reverberation of your voice can be heard thanks to this function. Discord audio can become warped and distorted if this option is accidentally disabled. To activate Discord’s echo cancellation, simply follow these steps:
- Click the gear icon next to your profile picture in the lower left corner to access Discord’s configuration menu.
- Choose “Voice & Video” from the User Interface menu on the left to access this feature.
- When you go to the section with the green on/off buttons, scroll down to the bottom and see a heading that says “Voice Processing.”
- In this section, you’ll find the “Echo Cancellation” option, restoring clarity to your audio.
Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority
This Discord feature is one of a kind and gives you the best latency. When this option is enabled, your voice data will be prioritized over other data streams when transmitted over the internet. As a result, the muffled and distorted sounds are gone.
If you turn on the Quality of Service High Packet Priority feature in Discord, you can stream with smooth speech. To fix your sound, just follow the simple steps below:
- Launch “Settings” by clicking on the gear icon in the Discord window’s lower left-hand corner.
- After that, from the list on the left side of the screen, select the “Voice & Video” option.
- Now, in the middle of the user interface on the right side, scroll down to enable the feature called “Quality of Service High Packet Priority.”
- I hope your audience can experience a smooth voice without muffled and distorted sound effects.
Change Audio Subsystem To Standard
There is an option in Discord to switch between the audio subsystems. The subsystem named “Legacy” makes the new version of Discord compatible with older computing devices. On the other hand, the “Standard” subsystem is for the latest and modern computers, laptops, and mobile phones.
For switching back to the “Standard” audio subsystem, you can follow the steps written below:
- Open the discord settings by clicking or touching the cog icon in the left corner below.
- Here, select the title saying “Voice & Video.”
- If you scroll down the right part of the user interface here, you will find the section named “Audio Subsystem.”
- Open the drop-down list menu and select “Standard.”
- Hopefully, it will remove your discord application’s muffled and distorted sound problem.
These are the best solutions for Discord’s muffled and distorted sound issue. We have provided all the details you need to follow to fix this issue. If any of these solutions don’t work, try replacing your old microphone with a new one. With good-quality microphone hardware, these procedures should be able to fix the problem.
Hey, I’m Hammad. I have been writing for several years now and have amassed a wealth of experience within my field. My focus is on technology and gaming, two areas that I am highly knowledgeable about. Also, I’m writer for iPhonEscape.com and CPUGPUnerds.com as well and where I have written over 350 articles.