“GRIP” by CFA-Sound, released in February 2016, is a hybrid dynamic processor plugin modeled after vintage German tubes and advanced voltage-controlled amplifier compressors.
It offers two different sections for drive control and compression. Both features can be used in series or separately, but we cannot use them in parallel mode. We can use two different drive modes for getting different kinds of coloration on sound.
The valve drive in triode mode offers a warmer overall tone and helps make the low mids more full.
The pentode mode offers a tighter low-end and detailed high-end. It is more dynamic and neutral.
CFA-Sound Grip User Interface:
The graphical user interface of GRIP is very sleek and minimalistic. Four main sections divide the user interface.
The top bar allows us to choose from several factory presets, save our custom presets, or bypass the plugin.
This section is responsible for the control over the vintage tube emulation.
The middle section gives us control over the different parameters of the emulated VCA compressor.
We can see and use the gain reduction meter in this section.
Using GRIP, we can either add a vintage character to our signal or use it as a transparent compressor where required.
We can choose from a list of factory presets depending upon our requirements. It offers different saved settings for guitars, drums, bass, and synths, etc. We can select a preset and modify it to our taste. Once we’re done, we can save our settings in the presets list.
The middle section gives us control over the following parameters of the compressor emulation.
- We can set the compression ratio using the ratio knob. It allows us to choose from six different compression ratios, ranging from 1.5:1 to 20:1. At 20:1, the compressor acts as a brick-wall limiter.
- We can decide how fast the compressor reacts to the incoming signal by setting the attack using the attack knob. It allows us to choose between six different attack times calculated in milliseconds, from 0.1ms to 30ms. Generally, we would recommend a setting higher than 10ms if your goal is to preserve the transients.
- Using the recovery knob, we can choose how slowly we want the compressor to relax its compression. A slow/high release setting means that we will have a nice gradual tail on our output signal, while a fast/low would be a desirable setting for EDM-like genres. We can choose between six different release times calculated in seconds from 0.1s to 2s.
- We can choose at what input level the compressor starts compressing by setting a threshold value by turning the threshold knob. The threshold is measured in dB, and we can set it up to -30dB.
- Using the output knob, we can add a makeup gain to our signal or “gain match” our signal to the input signal. It allows us to set the output level from -24dB to +6dB.
- The blend knob is another name for mix control. We can set it to “wet” and use it to output only a compressed signal, or if we want to achieve something like parallel compression, we will turn the knob towards the dry side until we get the desired results. When the knob is on the dry side, it will bypass the compressor.
Pulsar 1178 Review
FabFilter Pro-Q 3 Review
Top 10 Free EQ Plugins 2022
Top 11 Free Compressor Plugins 2022 (VCA, Vari-Mu, FET, Digital)
The 7 Best Graphic EQ Plugins 2022 (With 3 Best Free Equalizers)
When a compressor acts on an input signal, it causes some gain reduction. This phenomenon is actually what the purpose of a compressor is. We must be aware of the amount of gain reduction measured in dB that the compressor is imparting to counter it by using makeup gain on the signal below the threshold to make our output signal as smooth as possible. This scenario is where a GR meter comes into action. We can view the amount of gain reduction by looking at the Gain Reduction meter on the plugin’s right.
The left section of the plugin gives us control over the valve tube drive emulation. The purpose of the different parameters and how we can control them is as follows.
- We have little control over the level of input feeding into the valve drive and compressor. Note that this is not a full volume control, and we cannot turn it down to absolute 0. As this plugin emulates actual analog hardware, the change in input level affects the signal’s tone, so this little control over the input level is more for the control over harmonics rather than controlling the volume. According to CFA-Sound, this has a direct impact on the drive feature of this plugin. The drive will have less impact on the low frequencies when the input knob is turned down.
- Using the “Drive” knob, we can introduce drive in the signal from 0 to 24dB. Drive primarily controls the harmonics in an audio signal or simple words; it introduces musical distortion in the signal. The drive is a desirable parameter for mixing various instruments and is useful for vocals in some music genres.
- We can use Triode drive mode to get fuller low mids and a warm overall tone.
- The Pentone drive introduces more musical distortion and gives us a detailed high-end.
- Using the BIAS knob, we can control how much idle current the emulated tubes will draw. You can fine-tune the amount from 0 to 10. It has a direct effect on the tone of the signal. So bias knob is essentially a tone control knob.
- Like the compressor blend control, it has a dedicated blend control, which can be used to control the balance of processed and unprocessed signals parallelly. Dry means unprocessed, and wet means processed.
Although there are no hard and fast music production or audio engineering rules for using a compressor or any plugin for that matter, we recommend using GRIP in the following scenarios:
- When your mix is just perfect and only needs a little blending together, you can “glue” your mix by using it as a bus compressor.
- It is useful when you need grit on your vocals.
- When you need a punchy kick or drum presence, use GRIP.
- If you need a more present bass, it can help you achieve this by introducing musical distortion.
Pros and Cons:
- The emulation is very authentic.
- It has impressive control over the coloration and character of the sound.
- It offers two separate mix control knobs for the valve drive and compressor section.
- It provides an accurate gain reduction meter.
- We cannot use the valve drive and compressor modules in parallel mode.
- There is no meter to monitor the input or output levels.
- Although we can bypass both the modules using the blend knobs, it does not offer separate bypass switches.
Specifications and Compatibility:
GRIP works with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP or later and is available in VST format.
Mac OS Requirements:
GRIP works with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of macOS 10.6.8 or later and is available in VST and audio unit formats.
You can check the price and more info about CFA-Sound Grip. Also, the trial version is available.
In my opinion, all these features packed into one at the price of €25.17 is a steal. If analog hardware or even hardware emulations excite you and you love how analog equipment colors your sound, you won’t regret buying this.
Readings You May Like:
Can I Put Nylon Strings on a Steel-string Guitar?
Do Electric Guitars Sound Good Unplugged?
Buying Your First Guitar: 2 Things To Know
Are Tube Amps Worth It? (Tube vs Solid-State Amps)
How Often Does A Guitar Need a Setup?
Can I Play Classical Guitar On A Steel-String Guitar?
How often guitar necks need reset?
Can You Play Two Guitars Through One Amp?
Can a 6 String Bass Be Tuned Like A Guitar?
Can I leave My Guitar Tuned Down a Step? Yes, But Is It Safe?
Should I Learn 4, 5 Or 6 String Bass Guitar & Why?
How To Know If your Guitar Amp Is Broken?
How To Fix Distorted Bass Guitar Sound?
Do Fender Guitars Appreciate In Value?
Should You Put Stickers On A Bass Guitar?
How Acoustic And Electric Guitars Are Made?
Is Electric Guitar Too Loud for an Apartment?
Does a Preamp Improve Sound Quality?
If I Learn Acoustic Guitar Can I Play Electric Guitar?
How Many Hours A Day Should You Practice Bass Guitar?
Do I need an AMP/DAC To Run Bookshelf Speakers?
How to Record Electric Guitar Into Logic Pro X?
Do headphones get worse with age?
Headphones & Studio Monitors:
Do headphones get worse with age?
Monitors vs Studio Headphones For Mixing & Mastering
Top 10 Room Calibration & Headphones/Speakers Correction Plugins 2022
Does Heat Damage Headphones?
Are Noise-Canceling Headphones Good For Music Production?
Can Headphones Break in Cold Weather?
Why do headphones & cables get sticky?
Can Wearing Headphones Cause Hair Loss?
How Do I know If My Studio Monitor Is Blown?
Side Effects Of Sleeping With Your Headphones On
Do You Need Music Amplifier For Studio Monitors or Studio Headphones?
Do Headphones or Earphones Damage Your Brain?
Can Headphones or Earphones cause Deafness or Toothache?
FarField, MidField & NearField Monitors – Their Uses, Pros & Cons
MIDI & Synths:
Should I Buy A MIDI Keyboard Or Synth? (Are Synths Worth It Anymore?)
Why Is Audio Gear So Expensive? (Especially Synths)
Top 12 Synth Brands 2022 – Analog, Digital & Modular Synth Manufacturers
11 Tips How To Choose MIDI Keyboard 2022
Should I Buy MIDI Controller Or Keyboard? Cons, Pros & Tips
Top 12 NearField Studio Monitors 2022 On Any Budget
Top 10 Midfield Studio Monitors 2022 For Home Recording
Best Biggest Studio Monitors 2022 (FarField Monitors)
Top 10 Guitar Pickups for Low Tunings 2022
Top 10 Analog Compressors For Mixing & Mastering (On Any Budget)
Top 12 USB Audio Interfaces Under 150$, 200$, 300$ 400$ (Any Budget)
Top 12 Hardware Equalizers 2022 (Analog EQs For Mixing & Mastering)
Top 6 Analog Hardware Limiters 2022
Top 6 Solid State Bass Amps 2022 (On Any Budget)
Top 6 Ribbon Mics 2022 On Any Budget (For Vocals, Drums & Guitars)
Top 6 Cheap Dynamic Mics For Vocals Under 50$, 100$, 200$ & 300$
Top 6 Chorus Guitar Pedals 2022 (On Any Budget)
6 Best 61-Key MIDI Keyboards 2022 (On Any Budget)
9 Best 49-Key MIDI Keyboards Under 100$ & 200$ (2022)
Top 5 Best 25 Key MIDI Keyboards 2022 (On Any Budget)
Top 12 Acoustic Drums 2022 (Best Kits/Sets On Any Budget)
Top 10 EDM Plugins 2022 (And 10 Best FREE Plugins For EDM)
Top 10 Plugins For TRAP Beats 2022 (And 5 Best FREE Trap Plugins)
20 Best Plugins For Rock Musicians 2022 (+ 6 FREE Plugins)
Top 14 Trance Plugins (Uplifting, Tech, Progressive, Vocal, Dream, Hard)
Top 10 GOA & PsyTrance Plugins 2022 (Best Psychedelic Trance Tools)
Top 7 Plugins For Dubstep 2022 (With 10 Best FREE Effects & Synths)
Top 20 Synthwave Plugins 2022 (+ 11 Best FREE Plugins)
Top 15 Plugins 2022 For Techno, House, Electro, Tech House, UK Garage
Top 6 Plugins For Latin Music 2022 (And 4 FREE Tools)
Top 12 Plugins For Hip-Hop 2022 (+ Best Kontakt Libraries)
Top 7 Plugins For Game & Film Scoring 2022 (+ 6 Best Kontakt Libraries)
Top 10 R&B And Pop Music Plugins & KONTAKT Libraries 2022
30 Best Free Plugins For DnB, EDM, IDM & Experimental Music 2022
Top 12 Free EQ Plugins 2022 For Precise Mixing & Mastering
Top 9 Mid/Side EQ Plugins 2022 For Mixing & Mastering (+ 2 Free Tools)
Top 7 Graphic EQ Plugins 2022 (With 3 Best Free EQs)
Top 7 EQ Plugins For Mastering In 2022 | And Best FREE Mastering EQs
Top 6 Passive EQ Plugins 2022 (Klevgrand, SPL, UAD, Waves, IK Multimedia)
Top 11 Plugins For Making Metal 2022 (Best Guitars, Drums & Effects)
Top 11 Free Compressor Plugins 2022 (VCA, Vari-Mu, FET, Digital)
Top 7 Multiband Compressor Plugins 2022 (And 4 FREE Plugins)
Top 5 Diode-Bridge Compressor Plugins 2022
Top 6 Mastering Chain Plugins: Complete VST Solutions 2022
Top 10 FET Compressor Plugins 2022
The 7 Best VCA Compressor Plugins 2022 (VST, AU, AAX)
Top 11 Mastering Compressor Plugins 2022 (And 2 FREE Plugins)
Top 10 Opto Compressor Plugins 2022 For Transparent Sound
The 7 Best Vari-Mu Compressor Plugins 2022 (And 2 Best FREE Tools)
Reverb & Delay Plugins:
Top 12 Delay Plugins For Music Production In 2022 (VST, AU, AAX)
Top 12 Reverb Plugins (And 5 FREE Reverb Plugins)
The 6 Best Spring Reverb VST Plugins 2022 | AudioThing, GSi, u-he, Eventide
Top 10 FREE Delay Plugins 2022 (VST, AU, AAX)
The 10 Best Convolution Reverb Plugins 2022
Top 5 Audio Metering Plugins 2022 (LUFS, RMS, LRA, True Peak)
Top 6 Spectrum Analyzer Plugins Of 2022 – Spectral Analysis Tools
Top 6 Oscilloscope Plugins 2022 To See The Waveforms
Top 5 Key Detection Plugins & Software 2022 (+ Best FREE App)
Amps & Preamp Plugins:
Top 10 Guitar Amp Plugins 2022 (And 5 Best FREE Simulators)
Top 10 Bass Amp Plugins 2022 (And 5 Best Free Simulators)
Top 9 Preamp Plugins 2022 (For Vocals, Guitars & More!) + Free Preamps
20 Best Kontakt Libraries For All Categories 2022 (Synths, Drums, Vocals)
Top 7 Drum Libraries For KONTAKT 2022 (And 4 Freebies)
Top 7 Trap Music Kontakt Libraries 2022 (And Best Lo-Fi Kontakt Library)
Top 7 Metal & Rock Kontakt Libraries 2022 (Best Guitars & Drums)
Top 10 Guitar Libraries For Kontakt 2022 (Acoustic, Electric, Bass & Freebies)
Top 7 Trailer Scoring Plugins & Kontakt Libraries 2022
20 Best Free KONTAKT Libraries 2022 For Various Instruments
Top 9 Piano Kontakt Sample Libraries 2022 (And 5 Best Free Pianos)
Top 10 Percussion KONTAKT Libraries 2022 (And 3 Freebies)
Top 7 Kontakt Libraries For Horror & Thriller Scoring 2022 (No VSTs)
Audio Restoration, Calibration & Utility Plugins:
Top 6 Noise Reduction Plugins 2022 (And 3 Best Free Tools)
6 Best Audio Restoration Plugins & Software 2022
Top 7 Phase Alignment Plugins 2022 To Fix Your Bass & Drums
Top 10 Room Calibration & Headphones/Speakers Correction Plugins 2022
Top 6 Vocoder Plugins 2022 (Effects & Synths + FREE Vocoder)
Top 12 Randomizer Plugins 2022 Including FREE Plugins
Top 6 Kick Drum Plugins 2022 (Best Kick Designer Tools)
Top 12 Woodwind Plugins 2022 (And KONTAKT Libraries)
Top 10 Double Bass Plugins 2022 (Best Upright Basses)
Top 5 Strings VST Plugins 2022 (AND 4 Best Free Instruments)
Top 6 Sampler Plugins 2022 (And 3 Best FREE Plugins)
Top 6 Classical Guitar Plugins & Kontakt Libraries (And FREE Guitars)
Top 7 Wavetable Synth Plugins 2022
Top 12 Sub Plugins 2022 (Best 808 & Bass Tools For Massive Low End)
Top 10 Plugins On PluginBoutique 2022 (And 7 Best Free Plugins)
Top 11 Plugins On Plugin Alliance 2022
Top 7 Acoustic Guitar Plugins 2022 (And 4 Best Kontakt Libraries)
9 Best Bass Guitar Plugins 2022 (And 2 Best Freebies)
Top 6 Electric Guitar Plugins 2022 (Best PAID & FREE Picks)
Top 10 Arpeggiator VST Plugins 2022 (Best Synths, MIDI Effects & Tools)
Top 10 Modular Synth Plugins 2022 (And 3 Best FREE Plugins)
Top 6 Choir Plugins & Sample Libraries 2022 (And 3 Best Free Plugins)
11 Best Percussion & Drum VST Plugins In 2022 (And FREE Plugins)
Top 8 Piano Plugins 2022 (Best Sounding Pianos & 5 FREE Piano Plugins)
Top 6 Organ Plugins Ever Made 2022 (And 3 Best Free Organs)
Top 14 VST Plugins For Beginners 2022 (And 9 FREE Plugins)
Top 9 Drum Machine Plugins 2022 (And Groovebox Plugins)
4 Best Banjo Plugins 2022 (Best Banjo Instruments)
The 5 Best Ukulele Plugins & Kontakt Libraries 2022
Top 13 Synth Plugins 2022 (And 5 Best FREE Synths Plugins)
Top 13 Sequencer Plugins 2022 (Synth, MIDI & Step Sequencers)
The 10 Best Multi-Effect Plugins 2022 (And 3 Best Free Plugins)
Top 12 Plugin Bundles For Musicians 2022 (Synths, Mixing & Mastering)
Processing & Sound Design Plugins:
8 Best Lo-Fi Plugins 2022 (PAID & FREE)
Top 11 Plugins For Mixing Vocals 2022 (For Home Studio)
Top 12 Saturation Plugins In 2022 (Best Mixing & Mastering Tools)
Top 6 Pitch Shifter Plugins 2022 (And 3 Best FREE Pitch Shifters)
Top 6 Chorus VST Plugins 2022 For Musicians (And 3 FREE Plugins)
Top 6 Limiter Plugins 2022 For Precise Mastering & Mixing
The 8 Best Filter Plugins 2022 For Precise Cuts & Boosts (+ 5 Free Filters)
6 Best Autotune Plugins 2022 To Improve & Enhance Your Vocals
Top 10 Transient Shaper Plugins 2022 (VST, AU, AAX)
Top 7 Enhancer Plugins 2022 (For Bass, Drums, Vocals & Harmonics)
Top 6 Flanger Plugins 2022 (And 5 Best FREE Flanger Emulators)
Top 7 Phaser Plugins 2022 (And 3 Best FREE Phasers)
Top 10 Plugins For Mixing Drums 2022 (And 3 Best Free Plugins)
Top 7 Bitcrusher Plugins 2022 (And 4 Best FREE Bitcrushers + 3 Bonuses)
Top 6 Plugins For Voice-Over & Dialogue Cleaning 2022 (Post Production)
Top 10 Stereo Imaging Plugins 2022 (Best Old & Modern Picks)
Top 5 Multiband Limiter Plugins 2022
Top 7 De-Esser Plugins In 2022 For Better Vocals (And 4 FREE Plugins)
Top 7 Clipper Plugins 2022 (Best Limiter Alternatives)
Top 6 Chord Generator Plugins 2022 That Inspire Melodies (+ FREE Tools)
7 Best Exciter Plugins 2022 For Mixing & Mastering
Top 7 Channel Strip Plugins 2022 (And 2 Best Free Plugins)
Top 11 Distortion Plugins 2022 (And 4 Top Free Plugins)
Top 5 Comb Filter & Resonator Plugins 2022 | Melda, Kilohearts, Tritik
The 7 Best Vibrato VST Plugins of 2022 | Audec, Audiority, Melda
The 7 Best Tremolo Plugins 2022 | Eventide, Melda, SoundToys, Kuassa…
The 7 Best Harmonizer Plugins 2022 | Eventide, Melda, Aegean Music
7 Best Sidechain Plugins 2022 (VST, AU, AAX) | Xfer, Cableguys..
Top 10 Noise Gate Plugins 2022 (And 6 FREE Free Gate Tools)
The 6 Best Ring Modulator VST Plugins in 2022 | KiloHearts, Melda
7 Best Autopan VST Plugins 2022 | CableGuys, Melda, Waves, Soundtoys
The 6 Best Frequency Shifter VST Plugins Of 2022
Top 11 Granulizer Plugins 2022 For Future Sound Design
29 Best Sound Design VST Plugins In 2022
Recording, Mixing, Mastering & Restoration
Complete Guide To Limiter: How To Use It (+ Best Plugins & Analog Limiters)
How To Use Auto-tune & Pitch Correction In Cubase?
Full Guide To Comb Filtering & Resonator – What Is It & How It works?
How Loud Should Subbass Be?
Complete Guide To Noise Gate – What It Is, What It Does & How To Use It?
How to Fix It & Avoid Phase Cancellation In Music?
Should Drums Be in Mono or Stereo? (Kick, Snare, Clap and Percussions)
Difference Between LUFS, RMS & True Peak Loudness Meters
4 Ways To Remove Noise From Your Recordings (+ How To Prevent It)
How Loud Should a Mix Be Before Mastering? Recording, Mixing & Levels
6 Unique Tips How To Improve Your Vocal Recordings
How And When To Use Algorithmic And Convolution Reverb In Your Mix?
Mixing With Reverb: How To Add Life To Your Mixes
5 Quick Ways To Make Vocals Sound Better (Mixing Guide)
How To Use Upward & Downward Compression in Your Mix?
What PC, RAM & CPU Do I Need For Music Production In 2022?
Started as a rapper and songwriter back in 2015 then quickly and gradually developed his skills to become a beatmaker, music producer, sound designer and an audio engineer.