Airpods are necessary devices, especially for individuals who love listening to music while doing other chores. Apart from listening to music, it is also useful if you want to receive calls in public without raising an eyebrow.
If you’ve lost your single AirPods and want to purchase a new one for replacement, you’ll wonder if you can connect two individual AirPods to the same case.
Can You Mix And Match Individual AirPods?
You can mix and match individual AirPods together if they’re of the same generation and model. They don’t have to be in the same original order to connect. However, if the AirPods are of two different generations or do not have the same model, it isn’t possible to mix and match them.
Although you can mix and match your AirPods when you lose a single one, you may think It’s not ideal because you’re not sure if it will function properly. Don’t panic! This article will guide you on how to know if the AirPods will work when you mix and match them and the step-by-step process to follow and do it right.
Will Airpods Work If I Mix And Match Them?
Your AirPods can only work when you mix and match them if they’re of the same generation. Both don’t have to be of the same original order to sync. However, if both are of different generations and models, they’ll not work when you mix and match them.
The first generation of AirPods function with a W1-Powered Airpod Chip, while the second and third generation functions with an H1-Powered AirPods chip. If you connect Airpod of the same generation, they’ll work perfectly, but it isn’t the same if you connect AirPods of different generations.
There are three generations of AirPods, and each function differently. However, the second and third generations are almost similar. So here, we’ll know about the differences between the first and second-generation AirPods.
Differences Between The First And Second-Generation Airpods
First Generation Airpods
The first generation AirPods Siri only functions when you double-tap the AirPods.
You can use Siri by speaking to the AirPods without double-tapping. By saying, “Hey Siri’ it will automatically start working.
It has a wired charging case that cannot charge the AirPods automatically.
The new generation AirPods have a wireless charging case that can charge your AirPods once you turn it on.
This model functions with the W1 chip.
This second-generation model works with the H1 chip.
It connects at a slow speed and doesn’t have good performance.
It has a faster connection speed, and the performance is top-notch.
The latency performs poorly and is slow.
It has a high latency of 30%, which makes gaming fast and fun.
The first model generation AirPods doesn’t have a strong battery connection.
The battery capacity is super strong and can last up to 5 hours.
How Do I Mix And Match Individual Airpods? Step By Step
Before you start the connection process, ensure to get the individual AirPods of the same generation that fits into your case. Put them inside the case while connecting, and keep the case open.
Step One: Get The Individual Airpods You’d Like To Mix And Match
- To get the AirPods you’d like to mix and match, identify the type of AirPods.
- Ensure that the AirPods are of the same generation. If they’re of a different generation, they’ll not mix and match.
- Make sure that the individual AirPods fit into the case.
- Check the connection signal and the battery percent.
Step Two: Put The Airpods Inside The Case
- Put the individual AirPods inside the case.
- Ensure that individual AirPods fit inside the case.
- Check the connection signal to know if it connects.
- Keep the case open while working on the mix and match.
- Use the left and right AirPods. It is not advisable to use the right or left together.
Step Three: Pair The Airpods To Your Mobile Device
- Keep your case open before you start the connection process.
- Unlock your mobile device and switch on Bluetooth.
- Press the power button on the AirPods casing to power it on.
- Click on settings and connect your mobile device and the AirPods by pairing them.
- Keep your AirPods close to your mobile device. Then wait for a while for the pairing to be successful.
- While waiting for the connection to be successful, don’t close your AirPods case.
- Once the connection is successful, choose how you want to receive calls and notifications from the AirPods.
- Once you’ve customized your notifications, click done and start to enjoy your AirPods.
How To Reset Mix And Match AirPods That Are Not Connecting
You may connect AirPods from the same generation, and they’ll refuse to work. When this happens, you don’t need to panic. Just disconnect your device and reconnect.
Here are the steps to fix it
- Disconnect the Airpods from your device.
- Place the AirPods back into the case, and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the AirPods and reconnect. If it still doesn’t work, contact your local dealer for assistance.
How To Mix And Match Airpods Without The Case
You may be wondering if you can connect the AirPods to your mobile device without the AirPods case. Yes! You can. Just keep the individual AirPods on a close range to your mobile device and connect.
Here are simple steps to follow
- Keep the individual AirPods close to your mobile device.
- Click settings on your mobile device, and tap the button on the AirPods to power it on. For the new generation, AirPods connect once you turn on your device’s Bluetooth.
- If you have AirPods Pro, set up Siri on your mobile device.
- Click on “pair” on your device, and wait a while for it to be successful.
- Once the connection is successful, you can start enjoying your AirPods.
Can I Mix And Match Different Generations Of Airpods?
No! You cannot mix and match different generations of AirPods. The reason is that the AirPods from different generations come with different chips. While the first generation AirPods are powered by W1 Chip, the second and third are powered by a higher version, which is the H1 Chip.
So, if you try to replace the AirPods of the first generation with that of the second generation, the connection will not be successful.
How To Know Your Airpods Generation
It is necessary to identify your AirPods generation before you purchase a new one for replacement. The reason is that if you try to mix and match AirPods of different generations, the connection will be unsuccessful.
Follow this process to know your AirPods generation:
- Open the settings app on your mobile device.
- Go to the Bluetooth section and turn it on.
- Connect your AirPods to your mobile device by pairing them.
- Once the pairing is successful, you’ll see a list of devices on the Bluetooth menu.
- Tap the button next to your AirPods device name
- When you tap, it will display the AirPods model number and generation.
- Mobile devices vary. If yours uses a different operating system, try the second method
- Turn on your mobile device Bluetooth and pair your AirPods to connect.
- Open the ‘settings’ app on your mobile device.
- Click on general and scroll through the menu.
- Once your AirPods are connected, you’ll find them in the “find my device” menu.
- Click on it, and it will display your AirPods name and model.
What Does Airpods Mismatch Alert Mean?
Airpods mismatch alert means that the AirPods do not match. When you receive a notification like this, you’ll have to remove the AirPods from the case, disconnect them and start connecting individually. Connecting individually here means you’ll connect one first, then take it out of the casing and connect the other.
If you try to connect separately and it still doesn’t work, don’t panic! Follow these simple steps to get it done.
- Confirm that the AirPods aren’t from different generations.
- Disconnect the AirPods from your mobile divide by unpairing them.
- Restart your mobile device and allow the AirPods to stay disconnected for at least 10 minutes.
- Once you power your mobile device, click on settings and turn on your Bluetooth.
- Reconnect the AirPods and pair them.
- When the pairing is successful, you should be able to start using your AirPods. However, if the problem persists, contact your local dealer to get it fixed.
You can mix and match AirPods from the same generation. It is simple and easy and doesn’t require any professional help. However, if the AirPods are from different generations, they won’t work when you mix and match them.
We hope this information is helpful. If you’ve tried the steps in this article but still face any challenges while trying to mix and match your AirPods, contact your local dealer to help you fix it.
Integration is a music website focused on audio advice, how-to, tips & tricks and best plugins (free & paid).