Owning a pair of Airpods means you’ve probably stood in the middle of a room or the middle of the street, looking out for your lost Airpods. In addition to the emotional distress, the financial cost of replacing misplaced Airpods can be significant. Luckily, the Apple ecosystem allows users to track their Airpods down and find out their location.
But do you sometimes find yourself puzzled, wondering why are my Airpods showing different locations so frequently? You are not alone; it’s common among Airpods users. In this article, you’ll find what could be causing your Airpods to malfunction and provide some simple troubleshooting steps for fixing them. If you’re ready to end your search for clarity and embrace precise location tracking, keep reading!”
Why Are My Airpods Showing Different Locations?
Your Airpods show different locations due to the various locations of the connected device. If the device the Airpods are linked to changes its place, or if the Airpods are connected to multiple devices with varying GPS areas, the Airpods’ location changes.
Since Airpods do not have built-in GPS or Wi-Fi, you can only retrieve their location history through the user’s phone’s Bluetooth. Airpods use Bluetooth technology to connect to an iPhone or iPad and then deliver to the last known location. But the device’s movement causes the Airpods to appear in a different location as they use the device’s GPS to show the location. Thus, Depending on the device they are connected to, Airpods determine their location.
But the thing to note here is that Airpods’ effective range is probably no more than a hundred feet. They will only register as being at the office if you brought them in and left them in their case all day. If you get them to the office and use them there, the last detected position will be your workplace.
However, if someone else finds and uses them, the device will stop tracking them unless they are within Bluetooth range of your workplace.
Factors That Can Make Airpods Show Different Locations
There are several factors that can make your Airpods show different locations, and they can vary depending on your specific scenario. You can take a look below to determine what those factors are and what could be the solution to fix the location of your Airpods.
- GPS Errors
The GPS only provides the reliable location of Airpods if the GPS signal of the connected device is good. This issue can arise when using the Airpods indoors, in a car, or in areas where tall structures or trees obstruct the GPS signal.
- Network Issues
When using your iPhone Wi-Fi connection, it may be possible to determine your location using that network’s position. The position provided by the Airpods might not be accurate if the network is not set up correctly or is situated somewhere other than where it should be.
- Bluetooth Interference
If the Airpods are Bluetooth-connected to a device, it may use the device location to determine where you are. If the device needs to be set up or has a location in a different area than where the Airpods are, the stated location may be off.
- Battery Life
The battery life of Airpods can also impact the accuracy of their location. The Airpods may not be able to communicate position information precisely if the battery is low.
- Outdated Software
The location services on your device or the Airpods may occasionally have faults due to outdated software, resulting in inaccurate location information. Updating the software to the most recent version could fix these problems.
How To Fix Airpods’ Inconsistent Location Tracking
There are a few tips and tricks that you can keep in mind to effectively fix your Airpods’ inconsistent location tracking. All you will have to do is tweak some settings from the Find My app of your device, make sure of a few things, and you will be good to go.
- Make sure to activate “Enable Offline Finding” in the “Find My” app on your iOS device or Mac so that you can quickly locate your Airpods whenever you’re offline.
- Make sure your Airpods are in their charging case and check the battery level on the case itself or the screen of your connected smartphone. Take care that they each have working batteries.
- Verify that your Airpods are successfully connected to your electronic gadget. If only one of them works, reset it by placing it back in its charging case, opening the lid, and then pressing and holding the setup button on the case’s back until the LED blinks white.
- If your Airpods are acting up, try resetting them by placing them in their charging case and holding the button on the back until an amber light flashes. The next step is to open the casing and press the button on the back until the light within beats white.
- Be sure both Airpods can communicate with the device you’re using to track them down. The Find My app may only detect one if it is close enough.
- Examine your Airpods and gadget for updated software. Launch the settings menu on your device to perform a software update and navigate to general > software update.
- You should contact Apple’s customer service to help with these solutions.
Is It Possible To Track Airpods’ Nearest Location?
Your iPhone or iPad can be a beacon to help you find your misplaced Airpods (3rd generation), iOS Airpods Pro (all generations), or iOS Airpods Max. With the second generation of Airpods Pro, you can even track where you put the charging case.
- Launch the Find My app on an iOS device you have already paired with your Airpods.
- To locate your Airpods, select devices and tap your name.
- Follow the on-screen prompts as you set out to find your Airpods.
- There may be an arrow pointing in the direction of your Airpods, a distance indicator showing their distance, and a message indicating if they are higher or lower if you have Airpods Pro (2nd generation).
How To Find Airpods Through Sound?
If you lose your Airpods, you can play a sound on them to assist you in finding them. Playing a sound from the charging case is an additional feature of the second-generation Airpods Pro. Below we have discussed some tips which might help you in that regard.
- If you have an iOS device, launch the Find My app, navigate to Devices, select your Airpods by name, and then hit Play Sound.
- You can play music from your Airpods through your Apple Watch by opening the Find Devices app, selecting them, and tapping Play Sound (requires a Wi-Fi or cellular connection).
- Launch Find My app on your Mac, select your Airpods under Devices, click, and then choose to play sound.
- Visit iCloud.com/find, login in with your Apple ID, choose All Devices, find your Airpods, and then click the Play button to hear audio from them.
Airpods play a sound to assist you in finding them for a few minutes or until you turn them off. The sound will play the next time your Airpods connect to a Wi-Fi or cellular network if they aren’t linked to your smartphone and have yet to activate Find My Network.
Can You Locate Your Airpods On A Map?
Using the Find My app, you can see exactly where your Airpods were last seen or are now. Apple allows their users to locate their Airpods through their mobile device, watch, Mac, or even directly from the website. Follow the steps below and find out how.
- In iPhone or iPad, use the Find My app on iPhone or iPad and navigate to the Devices tab to locate your Airpods.
- Use Find Devices on the Apple Watch to locate your Airpods (requires Wi-Fi or cellular connection).
- If you’re using a Mac, launch the Find My app, navigate to Devices, and choose your Airpods.
- On iCloud.com, access your Airpods by visiting iCloud.com/find, logging in with your Apple ID, clicking All Devices, and finally, Airpods.
When your Airpods are far apart, only one will show where it is on the iPhone screen. To recover both, one must return the one currently displayed on the map to its container before refreshing its display to reveal its counterpart.
Each AirPod and the charging case will show up on the map if you have Airpods Pro (second generation).
In conclusion, there are a few alternative possibilities to explore if your Airpods show different locations. It could be a hardware issue with the Airpods, like a faulty GPS sensor, or a software or configuration issue on your end. In addition, your Airpods may be picking up on a new location if you just relocated or went on a trip. If your Airpods aren’t functioning as they should, it’s vital to troubleshoot to figure out what’s causing the issue.
The only way to get an Airpods location history is to pair it with a user’s phone and use Bluetooth to access the device’s internal storage.
Why Are My AirPods Not Charging on Wireless Charger?
How To Turn Off AirPods Pro Detected Near You?
Can My Airpods Survive a Drop? (ALL Versions)
Why Do AirPods Pro Sound Weird on Mac? Main Reasons
Can I Use Someone Else’s AirPods Case?
Why Do AirPods Not Showing Up on Bluetooth on Mac?
How To Connect Airpods With Windows 10 (Step by Step)
How Often Should I Charge My AirPods Case?
Will Airpods Pro Work With Android? Yes, But…
How to Tell If Airpods Pro Are Real or Fake? Solved
Can People Hear Airpods From Outside?
Can AirPods Damage Hearing? (1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen, & Pro)
Do Second Gen AirPods Work in First Gen Case and Vice Versa?
Are AirPods Gen 2 still worth it in 2023? Review
Why Are Airpods Pro So Sensitive On Touch? Solved
Can my AirPods Pro Be Tracked Even After Being Reset?
How Long Can Airpods Battery Last? (All Versions)
Can You Use AirPods on a Plane? Are They Allowed?
How To Clean AirPods Case Magnets
Do AirPods Have A Good Bass? Answered
Why Are Airpods Quiet on Full Volume & How to Fix It?
Can I Find My Airpods If Someone Else Connected to Them?
Can AirPods Get Damaged by the Cold? Answered
Why Does Airpods Case Makes Clicking Noise?
Can You Use Airpods at the Gym? Can Sweat Damage Them?
Can I Leave Airpods In Hot Car? Can They Overheat?
Can My Airpods Get Viruses/malware Or Get Hacked?
Is It Ok to Leave Airpods Charging Overnight? Answered
Is It Ok to Leave Airpods Out of Case & How Long?
Can My Airpods Survive a Drop? Answered
Can AirPods Survive The Washer & Dryer? Answered
Can you use AirPods In The Shower? (1, 2, 3 Gen and Pro)
How Many Devices Can AirPods Connect To At Once?
Why Do Airpods Fly Out Of Case When Dropped? (What To Do)
Why Do AirPods Pause or Disconnect When I Move My Head?
Can Airpods Be Used In SAUNA? Answered
Why Do AirPods Give Me a Headache? Solved
Why Does AirPods Volume Keep Changing Randomly?
Why Do AirPods Randomly Connect While in Their Case?
Can Wearing Airpods Cause DIZZINESS & Vertigo?
Can You Mix And Match Individual Airpods?
Why Do Airpods Only Charge To 80%?
Why Do AirPods Randomly Pause Out of Nowhere?
Why Do AirPods Sound Bad on Discord?
Why Are My AirPods Charging So Slowly? Tips To Fix It
Why Do Airpods Pro Smell Weird? – Top Reasons
Why Are My AirPods Charging Unevenly?
Why Do AirPods Scratch So Easily?
Why Are My AirPods Charging at Different Rates
Why Is Spatial Audio Not Working on AirPods?
Why Is My AirPods Hot After Charging? Answered & How To Fix It
PC fanatic, computer enthusiast, and tech geek are some of the words that describe me the best. My name is Salik Azmi, and I am a professional writer, troubleshooter, and a researcher. I am currently pursuing my bachelor’s in Computer Science and studying innovative fields within the domain. I love playing computer games, trying out handy gadgets like AirPods, headsets, and different sort of peripherals.